“Marisa’s suggestions and edits were always insightful, gleaning deeper opportunities to make my work more nuanced and powerful.”
—Dian Parker, author and freelance writer
Even a skilled writer benefits from the trained eye and constructive feedback of a good editor. Whether you have written a personal essay, a fantasy novel, or a promotional brochure, I will give you the insights and support you need to capture your readers’ attention from the very first sentence.
I draw on my experience as editor, reader, writer, and linguist to help you find your best writing. I respect your vision as creator and take your work seriously, on its own terms.
Big-picture editing that addresses content, structure, and style.
For creative writing:
In a creative developmental edit, I suggest revisions and offer specific guidance to:
- tighten up plot holes and pacing and fine-tune a compelling narrative
- develop the emotional depth of the characters and events
- polish transitions so that each paragraph and sentence leads smoothly into the next
- ensure that each aspect of the writing supports and enhances the rest
For practical writing:
In a practical developmental edit, I suggest revisions and offer specific guidance toward clear, effective writing with:
- concise, well-organized content
- direct and engaging language
- a presentation that supports and complements the message
Sentence-level editing to:
- resolve inconsistencies and unclear wording
- verify the accuracy of general information (such as historical facts or quotations)
- apply standard formatting
- correct errors of spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Can include checking design elements such as page numbers in a table of contents or style consistency in headings.
A final sentence-level pass to catch unresolved formatting, spelling, and punctuation issues and to make sure all changes from earlier revisions were made correctly.